We value your data and take your privacy seriously.
This policy contains important information about how we use personal information about you. We have tried to keep it simple, so please take the time to read this policy in full to understand our practices regarding your personal data.
Who are we?
R&A Rules Limited and the United States Golf Association (referred to as “we”, “us” or “our” below) jointly administer the WORLD AMATEUR GOLF RANKING (“WAGR™”) and together manage this website.
For the purposes of data protection legislation in the EU and UK, R&A Rules Limited and the United States Golf Association are joint data controllers (i.e. the companies who are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal data).
Personal data is shared between The R&A and the USGA for purposes of WAGR™ and this website including the transfer of data from the UK to the US. This arrangement is governed by an agreement between The R&A and the USGA. We also share your personal data with our group companies and our suppliers who assist us with the administration of WAGR™ and this website, for those purposes only.
You will find our contact details at the How to contact us section below. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions regarding this policy or about our privacy practices.
WAGRTM ranks the top amateur golfers in the world on the basis of their average performance in Counting Events on a rolling cycle over the previous 104 weeks. The data within WAGR™ is used by amateur golfers all over the world to keep track of their own and other amateur golfers’ performance, as well as being a valuable tool for event organisers for determining exemptions to qualification for their events.
The calculation of the rankings within WAGR™ (“WAGR™ Ranking”) is made by us in accordance with our rules, some explanation of which can be found in the FAQ section of the Site. In order to calculate and publish the WAGR™ Ranking and to provide news on amateur golf events on the Site, we require to process personal data about players taking part in Counting Events and the scores that they achieve in such events. We also need to process your personal data to determine exemptions to qualification for some of our events, which includes your date of birth and location.
Please be aware that cookies are used on the Site. Please refer to our policy on cookies which can be accessed here.
What personal data do we collect?
Personal Data of WAGR™ Ranked Players
As a WAGR™ ranked player (“Ranked Player”), we may collect and process the following personal data about you:
Personal data collected from third parties:
- Organisers of Counting Events provide us with the names and scores of players participating in their events. They may also provide us with details of the nationalities and dates of birth of those players.
- If you are a member of a golfing organisation such as one of the national golf federations, that organisation may provide us with personal data about you in accordance with the terms of your membership of that organisation. This may include your name, address, gender, date of birth, country of citizenship and contact email address.
- Occasionally, we may collect information about you from publicly available websites.
- If you have participated in an R&A or USGA event, we may use photographs of you from those events for the purposes of WAGR™. We may also receive photographs of you at other golf events from any of the sources mentioned above for use within WAGR™.
Personal data collected directly from Ranked Players:
- Personal data provided by you via completion of the Player Information Form on this Site. This includes name, date of birth, school/university and graduation year, e-mail address, telephone number, social media link and a photograph of you. You do not need to provide all or any of this information to be ranked within WAGR™.
Dates of birth
- Where available, we use dates of birth of Ranked Players to categorise those players into age group divisions within WAGR™ (e.g. juniors and seniors). The Site also includes the facility for users to filter Ranked Players via age on particular dates.
- A player is not required to provide his or her date of birth to be eligible for inclusion within WAGR™. However, the player will not be part of any sub-rankings by age group within WAGR™. Many events will look to the WAGR™ Ranking as a first source for their decisions on eligibility for exemptions to qualification and entry to amateur and professional events.
- We do not disclose dates of birth of Ranked Players to any third parties other than to our group companies and our suppliers who assist us to administer the WAGR™ Ranking and Site and for that purpose only.
- If you want us to stop processing your date of birth as set out above, please contact us.
Personal Data of Site Users
Separate to the collection of personal data about Ranked Players, as a user of the Site, we may collect and process the following personal data about you:
Personal data you provide to us as a user of the Site:
- when you provide personal data to us in relation to any user account you may hold with us for the Site such as your email address, username and password;
- by filling in enquiry forms on our Site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise including to provide feedback on the Site such as your contact details;
- by signing up to receive our newsletter including your email address (if you change your mind, you can opt out of receiving our newsletter at any time).
Personal data we collect from you as a user of the Site:
- We also collect certain non-personal information when you visit and use the Site. For example, we may collect and store your IP address, reference site domain name, and demographic information. We also may collect information including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and usage while on the Site. We will only collect such data in aggregate form so that no individual user is identified.
If we want to collect any other personal data through the Site, we will make it clear when we collect personal data and will explain what we intend to do with it.
How and why do we use your personal data?
To publish and maintain WAGR™ because our of legitimate interests in the game of golf.
We use personal data of Ranked Players to:
- calculate and publish the WAGR™ Ranking on a weekly basis on the Site;
- publish player profiles for Ranked Players on the Site. This includes publishing all information provided by you on a Player Information Form including any photograph uploaded with the exception of your contact details, username and password and date of birth (see below) which will never be published by us on the Site or elsewhere;
- generate and publish statistics on Ranked Players’ current and historic performance in the WAGR™ Ranking including on their player profiles;
- publish news on the Site regarding the WAGR™ Ranking and amateur golf;
- generate and publish the WAGR™ newsletter;
- maintain a historical archive and record of the WAGR™ Ranking and the results of amateur golf events which are Counting Events. For these purposes, we will retain a copy of the WAGR™ Ranking published each week and the results of amateur golf events which are Counting Events;
- allow users of the Site to filter or re-order the entries on the WAGR™ Ranking published on the Site according to age ranges, nationality and location of Ranked Players;
- send communications to Ranked Players about the WAGR™ Ranking and their inclusion on it.
The WAGR™ Ranking, which comprises a women’s ranking and a men’s ranking for elite amateur players, is offered by us as a global service to golf. Through incorporation and assessment worldwide of both amateur and professional events, the WAGR™ Ranking encourages the international development of the competitive game. It endeavours to be the most comprehensive and accurate ranking in golf by effectively comparing players from around the world who may never directly compete against one another.
The legal basis in the EU and the UK for processing the personal data of Ranked Players is that the processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of operation, improvement and expansion of the WAGR™ Ranking and the Site. Both The R&A and the USGA as the governing bodies of golf have a legitimate interest in promoting and developing the amateur game and maintaining a historical archive of how the amateur game has developed. The WAGR™ Ranking is used by many golfing organisations and national golf federations as an initial source of information for their decisions on orders of merit, national team selection and on qualification and entry for amateur events and professional tournaments.
To administer your user account with the Site and for your use of the Site where you have consented.
We will use your personal data as a user of the Site to:
- administer any user account that you have with the Site and to notify you about changes or updates to our Site;
- where you have opted-in or as permitted by law, send you our newsletter. You can opt-out of receiving such newsletters by clicking the unsubscribe link contained at the bottom of them or by contacting us;
- contact you where you have requested that we do so or to respond to communications you have sent us;
- allow you to participate in interactive features of our Site, when you choose to do so.
How long do we keep your personal data?
If you are a Ranked Player:
- we will retain all of your personal data for so long as you remain ranked on the WAGR™ Ranking;
- if you are removed from the WAGR™ Ranking, we will retain all of your personal data for a period of two years from the point at which you cease to be included within the WAGR™ Ranking;
- on expiry of that two-year period, we will delete all of your personal data with the exception of the personal data we require for the purposes of maintaining a historical archive and record of the WAGR™ Ranking and the results of amateur golf events which are Counting Events. For these purposes, we will retain a copy of the WAGR™ Ranking published each week and the results of amateur golf events which are Counting Events;
- we will delete all of your personal data if you ask us to.
If you are a user of the Site:
- we will retain all of your personal data for so long as you have a user account with the Site;
- we will retain all of your personal data for the purposes for which we have collected that personal data until we no longer require it for that purpose, when it will be deleted;
- we will delete all of your personal data if you ask us to.
For those Ranked Players and users of the Site situated in UK or the EU, we may transfer your personal information outside of the EEA for the purposes described in this policy. If we do this, we will use the appropriate safeguard of the model contractual clauses approved by regulators.
We have implemented reasonable measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss, unauthorised access, unauthorised use, unauthorised alteration and unauthorised disclosure.
- Maintenance of personal data in a database on a secured server
- Strong password access to the database
- The use of IDSafe for the authentication of access to the database
How to contact us
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- write to us at F.A.O Data Protection Officer, R&A Rules Limited, Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9JA.
United States Golf Association
- by submitting the contact us form at http://www.usga.org/contact-us.html; or
- write to us at The United States Golf Association, 77 Liberty Corner Road, Liberty Corner, New Jersey, 07938 USA.
What are my rights?
Data protection legislation in the EU and UK provides individuals with certain rights regarding the use of their personal data.
Subject access request
You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you in many circumstances. This is called a subject access request. If we agree that we are obliged to provide personal information to you (or someone else on your behalf), we will provide it to you or them free of charge except in exceptional circumstances. Please contact us if you would like to make a subject access request. Our details are set out above.
Before providing personal information to you or another person on your behalf, we may ask for proof of identity and sufficient information about your interactions with us so that we can locate your personal information.
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. If you would like us to delete or correct any information that we hold about you then please get in touch with us. You will find our contact details set out above.
Objecting to processing
You have the right to object to us processing your personal information if we are not entitled to use it any more, or to have your information deleted, or have its processing restricted in certain circumstances. You also have the right to port your personal information in certain circumstances.
Unsubscribing from marketing communications
We like to stay in touch with you and may send you marketing communications where you have opted-in or as permitted by law. If you would like to stop or restrict the type of marketing communications that you receive from us then please get in touch.
Lodge a complaint
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office, if you have concerns about how we use your personal information. Go to https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ to find out more.
We fully co-operate with the police and other law enforcement agencies in identifying those who use our service for illegal activities. We reserve the right to report to the police or any other such agencies any activities that we reasonably believe to be unlawful.
Linking to other websites