Great Britain & Ireland have it all to do this afternoon, needing to win seven of the eight singles matches to regain the Walker Cup after the United States swept the board in the morning foursomes to take a four point lead into the final session.
As holders of the trophy, after a win in Chicago two years ago, they need only 12 points from the 24 matches to take the cup back to America.
US team captain Buddy Marucci said: "I'm more than pleased I am proud of my guys. They showed a lot of heart out there.  Billy and Rickie just kept going.  They led the way.  They got down and they got back.  The others saw that and it was a great inspiration.
"We talked a lot about how important that first point is.  They never gave up, it was just wonderful to watch."
Disconsolate GB&I captain, Colin Dalgleish, commented: "I can't understand how we are in the position we are in. Losing these four points, I feel we played better than we did yesterday. There was some great golf played by the American side and we made a few mistakes here and there.
"But we're four points behind and we have to do something this afternoon. But there's no doubt that the guys can do it. It's been done before. At Nairn we came back. So it can be done. We need some early momentum. All the games are going to be close and we just have to try and get something back in the early games."
What had looked like a promising start by GB&I, with substantial early leads in two matches, was quickly reversed by a resugent US team.  Home favourites Rory McIlroy, from nearby Holywood, and Jonathan Caldwell, squandered a four hole lead after five holes to go back to square at the turn against Billy Horschel and Ricky Fowler.
The Americans then raced away to be three up by the 13th and were momentarily held back by a GB&I birdie at the short 14th where Horschel almost holed a long bunker shot for a conceded three and McIlroy bolted in a 20-foot putt to reduce the deficit to two.  Despite a home birdie on the 17th, the score was matched by the Americans for a 2 and 1 win.
Rhys Davies and Nigel Edwards combined well in a tight match with Colt Knost and Dustin Johnson.  The home pair were one up with six to play but lost the 13th to par and the next to a birdie two.  The final four holes were halved in par for the second American success of the morning.
Jamie Moul and Daniel Willett were up against it from the first hole and were three down by the turn against Trip Kuehne and Jonathan Moore.  Par at the 444-yard 13th was good enough to increase the American lead and although they dropped a shot to lose the short 14th a birdie at the 16th saw them home by 4 and 2.
Two up after three holes, David Horsey and John Parry were one down by the sixth and from that point were never able to regain the lead.  They launched a spirited recovery when they were three down with five to play and had fought back to just one down by the 18th tee after birdies at the 14th and 17th.  They also birdied the long 18th, but so did the American pair for a one hole win and a morning whitewash.


For more information visit


Previous Next

Your Cookies

Accepting all cookies will ensure you have the best experience possible when visiting

Some of these cookies are necessary to make our site work, while others help us to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

Accept All Cookies

Manage your cookie settings

Cookie Policy