Performances of the week
Moynihan claims Scottish title
- Gavin Moynihan climbs 253 spots on this week’s World Amateur Golf RankingTM to 10th thanks to victory in the Carrick Neill Scottish Open Championship at Panmure.
- The 2013 Walker Cup player came from six shots behind Australia’s Geoff Drakeford in the final round to win. Scores of 69, 71, 68 and 67 gave the Dubliner a 5-under-par total of 275. That was good enough for a two-shot victory over Drakeford, England’s Nick Marsh and Ireland’s Jack Hume.
- Drakeford jumps 58 rankings to 118th. Marsh moves 23 spots to 56th, while Hume breaks into the top 100 with a move of 31 places to 82nd.
- Cameron Wilson of the United States claimed the biggest win of his life by taking the individual title in the NCAA Championship at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kansas. The Stanford University player defeated Oliver Schniederjans of Georgia Tech in a playoff after they had tied on 6-under-par scores of 204.
- Wilson strengthens his grip on the world number five spot, while Schniederjans improves one place this week to move to world number three behind world number one Patrick Rodgers and England’s Matthew Fitzpatrick.
- The University of Alabama won the NCAA Division 1 Championship for the second year in a row by defeating Oklahoma State 4-1 in the match play final.
- There are no movers into this week’s top 20, but Brian Campbell of the United States breaks into the top 50 with a climb of 15 places to 37th. Countryman Michael Johnson joins him after move of two places to 49th.
- That honour goes to Korea’s Eunho Youm who jumps 2,130 rankings this week to 1,188th.
Performances of the week
Szeryk wins Thunderbird
- Maddie Szeryk of the United States breaks into this week’s top 100 after winning the Thunderbird International Junior in Scottsdale, Arizona. Szeryk, who will play college golf for Texas A&M, took the title in a playoff with California’s Andrea Lee.
- Szeryk birdied the second playoff hole after the pair tied on 2-under-par scores of 214. The resident of Allen, Texas, jumps 111 places on this week’s World Amateur Golf RankingTM to 90th. Lee climbs to world number 100 with a move of 43 rankings.
- Jessica Meek improves 207 rankings to world number 310 after defeating France’s Aaelle Carnet in a playoff to win the St Rule Trophy at St Andrews.
- Meek, who has just finished her first year at the University of Missouri, began the final round two shots behind Carnet. However, she returned a 71 over the Old Course to finish on 13-under-par 213. The Carnoustie golfer won at the third extra hole. Carnet improves 65 places to 301st.
- Camilla Hedberg claimed her national title when she won the Campeonato de Espana Amateur. The University of Florida player climbs 90 places to 186th as a result.
- South Africa’s Carrie Park moves to world number 58, an improvement of 11 places, after winning the WGSA 72 Hole Individual Championship in her homeland.
- There are no top 20 movers this week, but France’s Shannon Aubert improves 14 rankings to 37th. Karis Davidson of Australia climbs 11 spots to 48th, while China’s Yu Liu becomes world number 50 after a move of two places.
- Spain’s Elena Hualde Zuniga takes that honour this week after jumping 732 spots to 1,729.